Sunday, May 07, 2006

Saturday: Beltane

Saturday was spent at Beltane with my poor-put-upon Laurel. We spent loads of time with the household and that helped me get to know them better. We also watched Fabian and Elishka step down. I don't know Radnor and Ysabeau of Guildemar step up. Vinhold also paid taxes but I wasn't really much of a help with them though the taxes that were paid were nice. They made Eric ropes for the kingdom. I loved the floor cloth project but the eric ropes wasn't as much fun and required sewing, which I hate.

I was very teary-eyed during Fabe's and Elishka's court because they knighted Brynne. The ceremony was beautiful and she was well-represented by every group in SCA. I think I will always think fondly of her because at my first war I told her I was scared I couldn't protect her and she said it didn't matter, just run when she did. Too bad I couldn't see behind me because she had loads of war-sense. She runs to where she is needed and most efficient. Plus, she was super nice even though I sucked. So was Brand but you know, it was another woman out there and she was damn good.

We got a chance to catch up with everyone. No one recognized me because of my hair. Giant ants tried to eat us. I played in the creek when no one was looking. I found a merchant who was carrying indigo leaf. I fussed all day in my head about dying and urine. I spent time with Master James who was very interested in talking about future projects. I wish he was closer than a half hour away. I shouldn't complain though as I used to think he was 10 hours away and I would never meet him. Talk about fortune smiling on me. Anyhow, I also got a chance to parade with the heralds, which was fun because Sir Gerstan and I walked together. I also made sure I complimented Hirsch on the herald report system he created. It made things so simple!

After a while, I decided I needed to go ask Rose de Le Mans about things. I wasn't sure I would remember her appearance so I mentioned it to Master James and Nyteshade. She marched me right over so I could pester Mistress Rose about her indigo and urine dye experiments. She gave me a rough overview that is enough to send me off to do my research. It is terribly exciting. I ran back to the merchant and asked for 6 ounces of indigo, which made him quite pleased. Rose suggested the equipment I will need (all things I already own) and some methods that she found easier.

When Susan and I got home that night, I found a new book in my mail. The Compleat Anachronist #129. From Woad to Blue by Christina Krupp and Marieke van de Dal. Hahahahahaha!!! I am again smiled on by fortune and collect urine.

No comments: