Monday, October 08, 2007

OHMIGAWD, I AM A HOMEOWNER!!!!




In a fit of insanity during Ducal Prize, I bid on a lot of stuff. I lost my mind and bid on a medieval pavillion. It is used and I got it for a very good price. I already have a buyer for it if I want to sell. It was supposedly formerly owned by William of Houghton and Sir Maythen. I went and searched through the West Kingdom History site to see if there were pictures of it, but I haven't found any. I will take a picture at the next camping event.

To go with this pavillion, I need furniture. I have a nice teak chair that suits, so I take that now. My tent is pretty big, so I will need lots of things. Bjorne and Bruce have been a huge help. Bruce drove all the way to my house to show me how to put a new blade on my band saw. Bjorne taught me how to make a bed and how to use power tools. I can totally use a router now. I am fabulous with the drill press.

Bruce held a class on building boxes that was really interesting. I learned a lot about mass production and how it can ease your production times. Unfortunately, the plans were changed last minute and this change threw off the plan for my box bottom. But no worries! Bjorne and I can finish the box because I have wood left over from MY NEW BED!


Bjorne built a bed for his daughter and one for he and his wife. I love Bjorne's plans. Look at the wagon/cradle when you get a chance. It is the best kid container ever! I took Bjorne up on his offer to help me learn how to make a bed. I explained that I didn't know how to use all my power tools and I wanted a bed. Bjorne was a good teacher. He is efficient, which I like in a teacher.

We decided to do this plan that he has on his website:
http://hometown.aol.com/rbull41/queenbed/queen_size_bed.htm

The plans are fairly easy to follow and it goes together fairly easily. It is a little heavy as it is a full plank bed instead of a rope bed. Essentially, three trips from the car instead of two for a rope bed, or one for my bedroll. It packs up fairly small compared to the medieval pavillion. I will take pictures of how small it packs. Right now, everything is apart for the final sanding and staining. I will use a commercial product rather that a dog poo finish. I would need a dog to get enough poo to stain a bed.

No comments: