Sunday, October 08, 2006

All Hallows Feast!!!

Here we go! This is the first dish I made from the feast. The interpretation is simple. I believe the mention (with no recipe) is from Perry. Enough folks are putting the information where I can get it and the artist formerly known as Anahita has been a huge help. Anyhow...

The dish is described as almonds and nuts boiled in honey. Remember those pigeon towers? This type of dish is a halwa or sweet from there. It is cute. There is not really a word for dessert. Halwa is a term of endearment for a girl or a sweet. There are many different types. A carrot and raisin pudding is one of the best known. They also did it with grains or shredded roots we normally would treat like vegetables. Ah, more medieval genius. I looked at both modern and old recipes and called or harrassed everyone I know. Poor Sam.

I decided to boil the honey to almost the hard crack stage.

It has to do with the sweets from the area I was studying. High sesame seed production and almonds, and known for a sweet a bit like medieval nut brickle. This is one of the few dishes in the feast that

I boiled honey, milled sugar (yes, they had it), saffron, rose water, oil, a dash of kosher salt until it was nearly hard crack, then I pulled it off the stove and added the nuts and sesame seeds. Then I dropped it onto cookie sheets in about teaspoon sized lumps. It tastes wonderful and came out so pretty, that I wanted to show you.

No comments: