Thursday, October 19, 2006

Camel in Red Soup

The Redacted Recipe:

22 lbs of camel, cubed to 1 inch with the glands removed
1 pound of white butter*
9 onions, chopped
10 large carrots, in chunks
3 cups of honey
water or camel stock (I thought I would have bone in, so I would have roast the bones and then made stock from them. Instead we got boneless. )
1 teaspoon tragacanth gum or 1/2 cup of gluttonous flour
1 quart of yoghurt
2 teaspoons of kosher or tibetan salt
1/2 long pepper

Be very careful with the camel meat. I rinsed it twice and bled it off a bit. I rinsed and patted them dry twice. Then I cut up the meat. I think we had leg meat as the parts I thought I knew corresponded with the gland location on sheep or pigs. I saw one right away, so I was ultra careful about removing the glands. If you buy meat from a good butcher, they will do this to the large meat slabs. I started looking for them and removed all glands as I was cutting the meat in 1 inch cubes.

We then browned the meat in the butter. We used unsalted churned butter because that much
white butter would add about $16 in cost to the meal. We browned it in small batches in cast iron pans and the pot in order to get carmelization to take affect. The scent was pleasant at first but I found it got to smelling 'charred' right away. I think it is the sugar in the meat.

We then threw the onions in the extra fat from the browning of the meat until they were nice and translucent. We put those in the stock pot with the camel and added our carrots. Then we added the honey and enough water to cover it. We deglazed the browning pan with water and put that in the soup. We let that simmer for about 4 hours and then chilled it over night for the feast.

The next day we put the pot on simmer for the day. When it came time to prepare for the last course, I stirred the powder into the yoghurt. I then added as I was told, by gently heating the yoghurt in the ladle, then spooning in broth, then incorporating the yoghurt in little increments. Serve with more white butter on top and over or with steamed millet with onions.

*White butter is the fat off of whole, unhomogenized milk that is left to hang for about 2 hours. It cannot be substituted with salted butter, cream, half and half or oil. It can be substituted with unsalted butter, mutton or camel fat.

No comments: