Saturday, November 11, 2006

accessories!

In my quest to be more period, I have been working on some accessories for my costumes. I picked up a bunch of garment leather to do details on various projects, but it was also cheaper than the half hide I bought. I can use the garment leather to make patterns, much like a dressmaker would use muslin. I know I need a tough, leather bag for my every day items. I plan on making an alms bag for money. What is the difference?

Wallets, pouches and purses were used for personal items. It all depends on the time period, where you are going and what your social class is, of course. I am a French Courtier or a nun, depending on how old I feel that day. I have finally decided. There are days when a Dominican Habit and the 13th century do not fit. It is then when you are a 12th century French Courtier. (Not courtesan. I am merely a minor hanger-0n in court.)

I found an interesting 12th century bag for sale that featured a kidney shaped flap. You can see them at http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/gh0055.jpg or at http://www.jekylthehidesmith.com/12thCenturyWallets.htm for reference. The picture is lifted from jekylthehidsmith.com but I am giving them a plug. I found a couple of original examples that I am having a devil of a time finding again. It seems that in leather, the bag with the kidney shaped flap was the stylish thing to wear. Fancy alms bags were a must. I will need both. I am also an organization freak so I will be adding tiny wallets for things like money, contacts, medical info and my cell phone (which will be on vibrate at vents.)



I started by creating an outline. It seemed like the illumination pages and the extant pieces did not have a base like we find in a modern purse. These were wallety-pouches. They generally have a strap with a buckle closure or a beaded tie. Some were one points to attach to the belt and some were two. I really prefer the two as is shown in the jekyl piece, but most of the drawings I found were single straps. I wrote the purveyors to see if they had an idea of where they got the design.

My first try was going to be a single point with a simple buckle closure since I have a gazillion buckles left over from the boxes of buttons. I pulled out a brass one that I figured I could live without and that looks period. I took some polish to it and cleaned it up and wow, it looks great. Huzzah for recycling. I basically whipped it up to see how the thing would look if I were to make another. The blue on blue is tough to photograph.

What would I do differently? I would edge the flap. I would also line the final version. I think two points are necessary with this weight leather. I would do a final version of a more durable leather. I would also double over and edge stitch the straps. I also did a curved bottom which is kind of silly. I didn't see examples of that. I think outside stitching or a pounded folded edge seam would be more fun too. All in all, the pattern is only about 1/2 inch off. Of course, if I were smart I would just buy one.

No comments: