Monday, November 06, 2006

kirtle



Dear God I am fat! Whoa, those things in the front are falling fast. Remind me to wear a bra. It never hits you until times like this, does it? I am getting broader by the year. Yeesh. Hey, but that can be fixed.

Let's look at the kirtle. It is 100% silk, dyed for 2 hours in fermented cochineal. The mordant was alum. This can go under a cote or a bliaut. The color does show up in a few illuminations, but I am going to check with Master James. I think they are faded.

The length is good and the arms rauched a lot. HUGE amounts. Maybe too much. I think it is just a tad too bulky. Here is an arm shot. All the seams are frenched and except for a tiny part under the armpits, they are perfect. The tightness around the arms is weird, but I think I can live with it.



Maybe I should trim them? What do you think?

The color in the top picture is more realistic to what the dress looks like. It is a sort of raspberry. This sleeve picture is over exposed and I lightened it so you can see how much is bunched up on my forearm.

No comments: